If you've never dealt with depression personally, it can be difficult to know what to do, what to say, to a close friend who reaches out to you. Remember, your friend has just paid you a HUGE compliment by confiding in you.
In this video, I talk about what you can do to support your friend:
1) Tell them they can count on you
2) Learn all you can about depression
3) Tell your friend that you are learning about depression to better understand
4) Make an effort to make sure your friend knows they aren't alone and do it often. Text more. Phone them.
5) Ask your friend what are they doing about their depression
6) Invite your friend out to do things with you. Even if they say no, the invitation itself is appreciated and helps.
7) Do not feel like it is your responsibility to "fix" them
Don't treat them differently. Just be the friend you have always been, but be more vigilant about it.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
By joining our mailing list, you allow us to keep in touch and update you when new content is released.
You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time.