Today was my 5th broadcast of Mental Health Monday. I broadcast live at 2:00PM EDT on FaceBook and Instagram (technology-willing!)
At the time of broadcast, and of writing this blog, we are a little over 3 weeks into the Covid-19 lockdown that has crippled much of the western world. I've dedicated previous episodes to how to cope and thrive during these unusual times.
But at the 3 week mark, I've decided it's time to accept this new (temporary) reality and move on. And that's exactly what I've done in today's episode.
In today's episode, I begin with a short video clip from a mentor of mine. You can watch the full clip by clicking here.
He grew up in Detroit. He was the son of a teenage mom, and an absent father. As a teenager he lived in abandoned buildings and ate out of trash cans. Today, he has a doctoral degree in philosophy (PhD), and is one of the most sought-out speakers in the world.
He went from a homeless kid on the streets of Detroit to giving $50,000 to $100,000 keynote speeches all over the world!
I got to see ET speak live last October in San Diego at Brendon Burchard's #Influencer2019 event.
I am not exaggerating at all when I tell you after his 1 hour speech, I had to go up to my hotel room and recompose myself. He left me emotionally busted. I couldn't believe just how badly that I was failing not only myself, and my family, but my mission!
He asks some pretty powerful questions, and makes some equally powerful challenges. These may be slightly paraphrased.
WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Figure that out and then SPEND THE REST OF YOUR NATURAL LIFE WAKING UP AND GOING AFTER WHAT YOU WANT.
STOP WAKING UP LIKE AN ACCIDENT.
As you may already know, I have my own mental health issues. And these are NOT an excuse.
My mental health issues do not excuse me from living up to my potential, they are merely an obstacle to deal with and overcome!
Dr. Eric Thomas often wears a t-shirt that reads, "When You Want to Succeed as Much As You Need to Breathe". That is his intensity. The man does not play small!
He goes on to say that WINNERS WIN, and LOSERS LOSE. You create your own culture.
You owe it to yourself. You owe it to yourself, and to your family, and to society to push yourself everyday. You keep on pushing until you have reached your potential. We all need you!
You have the ability to make that same choice.
Are you SICK AND TIRED of being sick and tired? Do you want a change in your life. I mean, do you REALLY want it? If so, you have to go get it by taking action.
YOU MUST TAKE ACTION. No one is going to take these steps for you.
Obviously, it is impossible for me to give one-on-one advice, but I can offer some general advice on steps you can do to start taking action.
You too can take action, if you decide to. Here's how:
2. Go to wherever you buy your books (Amazon, Kindle, B&N, etc) and search for motivational books. Download the free samples. See what resonates with you and then start reading motivational self-help books. These are very powerful!
3. Paint a verbal picture of your life right now, and then paint another picture of where you want to be 1 year from now, 3 years from now and 5 years from now. Make it super-detailed so that a complete stranger could read it and know who you are, and who you want to become.
4. Review those every single morning and build up your motivation.
5. Create a plan on how to get where you want to go.
6. Break down that plan into action-items that you can accomplish. As you accomplish each step you will build confidence and momentum.
7. Keep on consuming motivational videos and books. You have to be your own cheerleader!
8. Consider hiring a life coach. Life coaching can be a huge help and serve as excellent accountability partners.
9. Purchase Brendon Burchard's High Performance Planner. Use it every day, consistently, and it will change your life!
10. Keep on finding books and/or podcasts that resonate with you, and challenge you to grow.
11. Eat healthy. Consult a good book on nutrition, or a registered professional in the field of nutrition to create a meal plan. Go out and buy the healthy food you need and then throw out the junk food in your house.
12. Exercise. Consult a personal trainer online and get a customized exercise plan. There are many to choose from.
13. Meditate. I cannot stress this enough. Every single super successful person that I have had the pleasure of hearing speak have all said that exact same thing: Learn to meditate. I recommend a course by Karl Jeffery on Udemy.
14. Share your dreams with your loved ones whom you trust. Explain who you want to become, and why. Share your passion with them. Ask them to hold you accountable.
You Owe It To Yourself. You really do.
Thomas Detert is a Certified High Performance Coach(TM), mental health blogger and advocate. He is the founder of Defying Depression: an online self-help movement that encourages those suffering with anxiety and depression to learn how they can help themselves.
Visit https://www.DefyingDepression.com to learn more.
Be sure to visit our YouTube channel for helpful videos about depression: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ6Pc47mbH8or8fdHyWk-eg
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
By joining our mailing list, you allow us to keep in touch and update you when new content is released.
You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time.